Sunday, March 26, 2017

RSC pinwheels tricks

I have loved making my "pinwheel sort of " block for my RSC. I have made more red this month. Mostly because I like the country colors of gold, red, blue , and green and the quilt from it will have more of them. It goes without saying that my stash has more variety in those colors.

I have the miniature pattern from Primitive Gatherings as well called Pinwheel Garden. It is a miniature.. No hints in there, though, just instructions to assemble the blocks and quilt.


So red blocks.... I even added a couple homespuns this week. And my red total is 13 making the whole sum and total number of blocks to 29.



As I made these this weekend, I was carefully conscious of my process to see what makes it come together at those pesky pinwheel centers.



First a real key was to spray size the fabrics prior to sewing. It made for crisper seams and intersections. ( Trick learned from Lisa Bongean, but I do not completely immerse in starch and then dry them.) I just used Best Press. I carefully ironed first  each color, and then my 2 colors together prior to marking the half square triangles and Thangles papers for the small triangles.

So 2nd real key is seam allowance ESPECIALLY at the beginning of the seam where the triangles of 2 separate blocks meet.

 It is easy to put the 2 triangles together as the seam allowances are going in opposite directions and "nest" together well.



Another thing I watch for is that the size of the seam allowance is key for both halves prior to sewing the 2 parts together. Here are 2 different views  I might use to check the match prior to sewing.  It works very well to have the seams finger pressed.  Matching them has one going in each direction and flat. Make sure to "butt" them together.


Here is an example of not matching well:



I quick rip it and then realignment made this for only one resew.

Then on the back I undo the seam allowance to both parts.  It looks like this when opened:




I do pin... and I do sew on top of them.  Rarely do I hit one. And to avoid it, slow the sewing machine while going over the pin. The needle will slide to the side, at least in my experience of many decades. I know others do not agree.






No comments:

Post a Comment